Born 1944, Basra, Iraq
Ali Talib studied painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Baghdad, receiving his BA in Painting in 1966. After graduating, he joined the faculty of the Institute of Fine Arts where he worked as a lecturer throughout the 1970s. Talib was a founding member of the Innovationists and after moving to his birthplace, Basra, for a short time, he formed the Shadow Group; he was also a member of the New Vision Group. He went on to study graphic design at Helwan University, Cairo, where he received his MA in 1980. From 1991 to 1997, he taught at University of Yarmouk in Jordan. Talib held his first solo exhibition at Mubarakia Gallery, Kuwait, in 1964, while he was still a student at the Academy. Further solo shows include National Museum of Modern Art, Baghdad, 1976; Gallery d'Art 50x70, Beirit, 1994; De Vrije Academie, The Hague, 2003; United Nation Humans Settlements Programme, Barcelona, 2004; Green Art Gallery, Dubai, 2008; and Karim Gallery, Amman, 2009. He has also participated in biennales and triennales as well as major group shows including Four Iraqi Artists, Alif Gallery, Washington, DC, 1994; Cité International des Arts Exhibition, Paris, 2004; Iraqi Artists in Exile, Station Museum of Contemporary Art, Houston, Texas, 2009, and Art in Iraq Today (with fellow New Vision members Dia Azzawi and Rafa Nasiri), Meem Gallery, Dubai, 2011. In 1986 he was awarded First Prize at the First Baghdad International Festival of Plastic Arts and First Prize at the Second Sharjah Biennale, in 1995. His work is held in collections including Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art, Doha and Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts, Amman. He lives and works in Amman and The Hague.